If you are a grandparent raising your grandchild -- struggling with finances, child care/school or mental health issues, or if you are a grandparent who is concerned about the safety and well-being of your grandchild but you don't know how to help, where to go, or what to do, you're not alone.
Resources are available to help you learn how to navigate the systems and advocate for yourself and your grandchild. Mass.gov offers a free Grandparent's Resource Guide covering everything from custody, legal issues, insurance, safety and more. To view the guide online, click here.
Basics: just a few tips to get started. Please review the Grandparents Resource Guide for more information.
- To obtain custody of your grandchild, go to the Probate Court where the child lives and request temporary gaurdianship
- Visit Mass.gov/elders for local support group listings
- Click here for additional resources from Mass.gov/elders
- For questions, contact email@example.com
If you are the guardian of your grandchild:
- You are entitled to apply for grantee relative benefits at the Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA). Call The DTA Centeral Office for more information: 1-800-445-6604
- If your grandchild is under five years old, he/she is eligible for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) which helps with nutrition resources and food. Contact WIC at 1-800-WICC-1007 for more information.
- Your grandchild is eligible for MassHealth insurance! Contact the Department of Early Education and Care for income-eligible child care of day care vouchers: 617-988-6600